Welcome to New College—we know you’re proud of your child and their admission to the University of Toronto. This is an exciting time of year and over the next few months your daughter or son will be planning their courses, exploring co-curricular activities and may be planning to leave home for the first time. This guide will provide you with information about what to expect from first year.
When students start at the University of Toronto, they are considered to be adults and, as such, have a right to confidentiality. Student records at the University of Toronto are regulated by the Ontario government’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), and records cannot be released to anyone (including parents) without a student’s consent. However, family members can contact the Registrar’s Office or the Office of Residence and Student Life with any concerns they may have, or to get information on the range of resources available to students.
The learning structure at university is very different from that of high school. Students select their courses and create their own timetable. Most students enjoy the extra freedom that comes with university studies, but the adjustment to the increased workload and academic expectations may be challenging. Rest assured, there is a wide range of resources available for students throughout their time at New College and U of T.
Student’s to-do list:
- Accept the offer of admission by June 1 or the date specified in the offer letter. Students can accept their offer of admission at www.ouac.on.ca. As of June 1, students can get their TCard (their student card) and set up their University of Toronto email account. Read the online instructions at www.tcard.utoronto.ca and www.utorid.utoronto.ca.
- To learn more about course selection and have questions answered, you can attend a virtual course enrolment session offered by the New College Registrar’s Office.
- In addition to this guide, review the Calendar and the Registration Instructions & Timetable on the Faculty of Arts & Science Dates and Deadlines page for information on course selection.
- View course enrolment start time on ACORN: www.acorn.utoronto.ca, as of July 2.
- First-year students enrol in courses beginning July 23 using ACORN.
- One-on-one advising appointments on course selection are available at the New College Registrar’s Office; email email@example.com to book an appointment.
- Make the minimum required payment or defer fees by September 2.
- Participate in Orientation events, September 6–11.
- Begin classes on Thursday, September 10.